Thursday, September 18, 2008

fiesta fiesta!

Today is la Fiesta Patria... or something like that, big national holiday in Chile! Which I actually knew was coming and sort of came to Valparaiso to be here for the holiday on purpose (because this random guy from Montreal I met said that all the locals were going to the coast and I do as the locals do... what?) BUT turns out TOSO ES CERRADO (closed) so even though I really need bathroom and lunch and should be exploring in the broad daylight, I had to grab the first open internet place I found. However I will try to be brief..
Yesterday I explored mor ein Santiago, highlights: Museo de Arte Precolombio (really old stone/metal/clay stuff and textiles, my fave part); the Mercado Central which was kind of like Tokyo in that there was a lot of raw fish and I ate lunch for the experience rather than it tasting good or filling me up; Cerro San Cristobal (or maybe Santa Lucia? whichever one i didnt see the day before) w/ views of the whole city. Then I took a bus for about an hour and a half to Valparaiso (whole process was surprisingly easy except for thr carrying my bag part) and found the hotel from my guidebook and looked pitiful enough (it was getting dark) that the lady cleaned a room for me. Noisy, the bed squeaks, I hear things in the ceiling, btu safe and I have my own room and the real owner (I think her daughter or someone let me in last night) who I met this morning is realllllly nice. Somehow we sort of conversed en espanol (shes very patient) and I think when I go back today she´s going to take me out with her, possibly to a friends house for dinner? and to see the fiesta. So far this morning I saw a big parade and soem cool building, since verything is closed I´ll probably just be wandering... but its really pretty, colored houses up into the hilss and the Pacific Ocean! which I have yet to see.

Okay no hay mucho tiempo, ciao!

No comments: