Sunday, February 8, 2009

off (and on?) again!

SO tomorrow I leave for India, by way of Chicago and a 17-hour flight from there, really looking forward to some quality plane food and movies and I can't think too much farther ahead right now. I decided to go ahead and plan things out for the first bit to try and give myself an easier time with the culture shock and all (I read somewhere that arriving in Delhi is like jumping out of a plane into a tornado..?), so I've got a hotel for two nights in Delhi that should be waaay nicer than anywhere else I have stayed or will stay, a train ticket to Agra, a hotel reservation for three nights there, and another ticket to Bhopal. In Bhopal I'm going to be volunteering at the Sambhavna Clinic which treats victims of the Union Carbide disaster (http://bhopal.org/index.php?id=20) at least until the end of February but hopefully for three weeks or a month, and from there it's pretty flexible. I fly out of Delhi on May 9, and before then I want to travel around India and do some trekking in Nepal (Anapurna Circuit?)
Doing this whole thing for the second time, I sort of feel like I'm both more excited--because I know it's going to be amazing and that I can do it--and more nervous, since I now actually have conception of what it's like to be on essentially on my own in foreign countries for three months. But I know this is the right thing for me to be doing and I'm so lucky to be able to do it, so I'm mostly just reallyreally excited. And hoping that I can suppress my initial instinct to speak Spanish when I hear a foreign language.

1 comment:

Sophie said...

HI! look i am commenting! so i thiiiink you are in delhi by now which is incredibly exciting/crazy, and i can't wait to hear about it!!! so i hope your flight went well and you are seeing/doing amazing things, and update this soon!

love soph