Saturday, November 1, 2008

happy november!

well this time I got a computer where the USB works for pictures but the keyboard scks. Entonces, pictures first (Salta and the farm) and then a bit of an update.
my favorite church in Salta
view of the city from the big hill and the teleferique I took up
dramatic path down
mysteriously deserted lake/dique
wildlife at the dique
other volunteers
beautiful campo
baby goat
these bunnies are so cute I didn't really mind cleaning up all their poop
home sweet home













Farm life has been lovely, it's hard to believe it's November now when the morning was hot and sunny and everything is so green.. although it rained earlier this week, so I got to pretend I was in Seattle for a bit. This week I worked a lot more with the school/making bread, did some weeding, firewood gathering/breaking/stacking, planted onions and beets and carrots and lettuce, did a bit of actual hard manual labor hoeing/shoveling in the potato.. garden?, harvested blackberries from the trees (!)... I don't even remember what else, the work here is always varied and generally not too hard. Lots of downtime for reading (I'm working on a "Choo-se Your Own Adventure" in Spanish.. awesome practice) and hanging out and getting to know the other volunteers. I've also been trying to figure out the next month, as Aviva has decided to go to Chile instead of Peru; but I've decided to go anyway, by myself, so that's a little intimidating but mostly really exciting. I ventured back into the city yesterday to go to the Bolivian consulate and get my visa, and I'm leaving this Wednesday.
Random other things:
-I've been attempting to milk the easiest goat all this week and this morning I triumphed with half a pitcher. It's actually really hard, I swear.. I'm gonna get a full pitcher before I leave
-I saw a goat drink another goat's pee while it was peeing
-I'm the only girl on the farm who's not vegetarian, and I had my carniverous convictions challenged a bit when we ate a gose that I had seen walking around that morning.. and they killed a goat today that should show up as dinner. But I decided if I eat anonymous animals I should eat animals I know too, so I'm toughing it out for now
-We found a chick that looked like it was dead but after a morning in Theo's pocket it came back to life!
-The French chicos make the most delicious fried bread ever, especially with jam from the farm. Also listening to them try to speak English is my main source of entertainment
-My ballot will probably never arrive so everyone make sure to vote!! Aaah

4 comments:

Christena said...

I know, I couldn't figure out a way to vote either; which stresses me out because the Gregiore Rossi race is going to be really close, last time it was like 300 votes or something, right? Andrea, I'm forgetting grammar. How am I going to go to college? I'm getting way to accustomed to travelling around Mexico with my boyfriend. I don't want to go back to the real world. Exhibit A¨: I just realized I wrote to accustomed instead of too acumstomed and I have no idea how to spell acustumed. Anyway, I love following your amazing adventures, and you should buy chocolate cookies without stressing. You deserve it, because you are an amazing person who is devoting herself to helping the world. love, Tena

biancaleaveshome said...

maybe we are in peru at the same time. im in cusco next week i heard aviva is there

i was laughing for 20 minutes about this goat pee incident

Sophie said...

YAY pictures! it looks beautiful. oh my god christena i know exactly what you mean, my english has gotten so bad...whcih is especially alarming because i am teaching english. aah! but i can't believe it is november already, i am so proud of you that you have been traveling around south america for almost 2 months already! you are incredible. i can't wait to hear more, i'm always thinking of you!
love Soph

Tom Linde said...

You're awesome Andrea and I love your stories.
- Jake's dad